Mediation Station

These last few class periods discussing conflict have given me some very useful insights into the way I function and choose to handle conflict. Conflict resolution and mediation have always been a strong suit of mine, although I see now I am only HALF handling the conflicts that surround me. I know that I score low on the assertiveness scale (a trait that makes a poor mediator), yet when and how I choose to assert myself during conflict is entirely subjective to the factors within the situation. For instance, If I am at the heart of the conflict, I will be much less likely to assert myself fully. Whereas, if I am a third party to the conflict, I am much more likely to act as a strong mediator. Although I cannot yet fully understand the cause of these subjective actions, I can correlate the factors involved with each. For instance, I am much more likely to stand up for a loved one than I am for myself. Next, I will discuss the routine that happens to many people who share my "people style" (Amiable) and the way good mediation and conflict resolution play into that.

The graph above gives a detailed look at what most people would refer to as "bottling your emotions". We see a cyclical process during which conflict, when not dealt with properly will lead to increased conflict. I have battled with my tendencies of defaulting to avoidance and began to train myself in engagement. Often I feel as if the root of me choosing to bury things lies in the fact that I trust my own ability to maintain strength but I cannot always know others. This causes me to feel okay using an avoidance tactic when I am in the heart of the conflict. Yet, when I see others in conflict, I naturally step in due to my subconscious telling me that they cannot handle it. This is of course a false perception, but I have been observing the who, whats, hows, and whys of my actions and reactions to conflict for quite sometime now. This topic is very fitting and helps to provide a concrete idea behind my actions. I aim to hone my mediation skills so that I may provide good leadership to those I manage in the future. Although there are many aspects to good management, I feel as if good mediation provides an infallible structure that employees and subordinates will be able to identify with easily.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Recreate?: The doorway to obtaining "the good life".

Speaking on Genuineness: Not just black and white